The O's keep improving their draft position

wildcard

Though I don't think it is their intent, the O's now only have the A's and Tigers with worst records in the AL. However, the NL has 7 teams with worst records than the O's. That means the O's have cracked the top 10 in draft selection.

As I look at the schedule its seems the O's record will continue to get worst. And their draft position will continue to get better for the rest of the season.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask. If you can choose between the Orioles finishing with a winning record or the Orioles getting a protected top 10 draft pick, what would you choose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The irrational side of me hates the idea of a losing season.

The more logical rational side of me knows that if you don't make the playoffs, the best thing for your team's future is to get as high a draft pick as possible.

Unfortunately this is not the NBA or NFL. The difference between picking 10th overall and 15th overall is next to nothing. Luck and scouting gets you the talent more so than the draft position.

I would prefer the dignity of finishing close to .500 than losing 90 plus games.

Unfortunately this is not the NBA or NFL. The difference between picking 10th overall and 15th overall is next to nothing. Luck and scouting gets you the talent more so than the draft position.

I would prefer the dignity of finishing close to .500 than losing 90 plus games.

But you are choosing between 10 and 30-something if Baltimore signs any FA with a pick attached. And there is a pretty significant difference there.

Is it still the rule that if a team finishes in the bottom half, then signing a free agent who has received a QO costs a 2nd round pick rather than a 1st rounder? That's about the only bright spot I see in the team's plummet.

The protected picks are not forfeited, but you would forfeit your next unprotected pick, which isn't necessarily the second rounder (e.g. sandwich round/CB pick).

But you are choosing between 10 and 30-something if Baltimore signs any FA with a pick attached. And there is a pretty significant difference there.

I am very against signing any Free Agent that requires a pick as compensation. How do you become immune to losing a first round pick. I'd be ok with losing a second in the right circumstances.

The signing team gives up a first-round selection, unless it possesses one of the first 10 selections. In that case, the team gives up its next selection after that.

I think you need to be in the top ten. Right?

Though I don't think it is their intent, the O's now only have the A's and Tigers with worst records in the AL. However, the NL has 7 teams with worst records than the O's. That means the O's have cracked the top 10 in draft selection.

As I look at the schedule its seems the O's record will continue to get worst. And their draft position will continue to get better for the rest of the season.

First this just shows how much the NL stinks. We're not going to have to try too hard to tank because look at our rotation. We have 25 games left. I see us going 7-18. 10-15 if we get hot.

The protected picks are not forfeited, but you would forfeit your next unprotected pick, which isn't necessarily the second rounder (e.g. sandwich round/CB pick).

Hey Stotle. I've been reading that this draft is deep in college SP unlike last draft. Is this draft setting up to be a good one talent wise?

Hey Stotle. I've been reading that this draft is deep in college SP unlike last draft. Is this draft setting up to be a good one talent wise?

Too early to tell. Some interesting talent on the Cape, a couple of pop-up arms in the Northwoods. USA Collegiate National Team was interesting, but the bats were light. HS class was strong with lots of big arms on the showcase circuit. Looks like there is a fair amount of talent, but we don't know who will stay healthy and what these guys will look like in the spring.

The irrational side of me hates the idea of a losing season.

The more logical rational side of me knows that if you don't make the playoffs, the best thing for your team's future is to get as high a draft pick as possible.

There's nothing irrational about hating to lose. There is something very irrational about a system that rewards failure.

Archived